Monday, November 28, 2016

Pet peeves of the pen (and stories, in general)…the never ending cycle of miscommunication

I have many pet peeves when it comes to stories. Whether found in screenplays or texts, certain elements of character, scene, plot, and such get under my skin, like scabies of the mind! To begin my somewhat lengthy list of pet peeves of the pen, I will start with the plot frustration of miscommunication!

Miscommunication (or lack of communication at all) leading to tragic misunderstanding is a personal irking of reality that truly aggravates me. Perhaps it is because a simple strand of questions or explanation can stitch up slow bleeders in relationships.  That personal pet peeve seeps a skeptical eye at about everything that  I read or watch.

Obviously there will be miscommunication and misunderstanding in every relationship - whether body language or verbal, it happens. It is when characters don't even try to resolve the lack of communication that bothers me most. (Even worse is when an entire plot revolves around a series of misunderstandings!) Instead of each character making rational decisions or asking needed questions, they are stuck in an elongated beginners' chess game of responses, each one acting off what the other does first. "When I saw Charlie having dinner with that woman, I just knew he was cheating on me! So, I decided to break it off with him." "I don't know why Jane called it quits. I guess I will just return this engagement ring I have in my pocket." "I saw Charlie at the jewelry store with an engagement ring! He is already going to propose to that woman?!" ...aaaaaand it keeps going - one misunderstanding leading to another utill I am so frustrated that I really don't care if Charlie and Jane every figure things out or are back together! Equally infuriating is when, suddenly, both decide to openly talk and the whole story is wrapped up with kisses and fireworks. Sigh. As I said - pet peeve! :)

What communication looks like - Sisters in the Sequoias style!










No comments:

Post a Comment