Friday, November 11, 2016

Having that second pair of eyes and ears...

There is something about another pair of eyes and ears that keeps my writing in check. 
Is a character fleshed out completely or is there some ambiguity that needs scrubbing? Is the story flowing well or is it difficult to follow and understand? Are there inconsistencies that should be addressed? All are needed validations that the world floating around in my head is what is being read...and that it makes sense. Let's face it. We see, hear, smell, feel, and taste every detail of the scene in the recesses of our mind, but there is a good chance that some of that didn't make it onto the page…and what if one of those omitted details is what loses our readers? 

So - to avoid all this, having someone else is crucial to the writing process! This person shouldn't be someone that pats you on the back and showers you with the accolades of praise you undoubtedly want to hear. "Wow, that was awesome!" isn't exactly constructive. ;) They need to be someone who is willing to be honest and give you the raw criticisms you require in order to churn out a polished story. A close friend or family member aren't usually suitable matches for this, unless they write and feel the same. If we are honest, our work is very much a part of us and negative comments are more likely to be taken personally when it comes to close friends and family. Also, equally important, this person should be as excited about what you are writing as you are. There is a contagious motivation to keep pushing through the rougher spots when someone is waiting to read what happens next, willing to give you constructive feedback, and is excited to discover what you will do with it and where the story will go. :)

I had an invaluable "reader" when writing my first book. Unlike the advice I have just given, I used a close friend. (This truth makes me want to erase the previous paragraph; however, this person is the only exception that has actually worked out well for me. Believe me when I say it is a rare exception, though. This person is also a writer, though - so, considering I did place that clause, I suppose I will leave in the previous paragraph!)  I am not sure that I would have finished writing it without this person, whose contagious motivation pushed me through many a tough spot,  and am incredibly grateful for all their thoughts, incite, and honesty. (I refrain from giving a name here because they have requested to remain anonymous.) 

So, find that other pair of eyes and ears. Even if the only relationship you have with them is the writer/reader one, this resource is invaluable! There are websites and author groups available to help pair you with another writer of your genre and on-line forums to discuss work, as well. However, you do it - do it! You most definitely do not want the first critically eyed person that reads your work to be the agent you are trying to find!
(*Image copied from Julie Fain Art, all rights reserved to her.)


No comments:

Post a Comment