Monday, May 7, 2018

All zapped out….

Ah, the good old MacBook Pro…My husband got it over ten years ago. In his line of business (Computer networking, engineering, cloud, etc.), he has to update to something newer every few years. So, it became mine! Mac and I have done a lot of writing, blogging, bill paying, and research together. Although the bottom of the screen now glows (no clue why) and various marks and dents litter its surface, Mac has been ever-faithful, always getting the job done.

However, of late, Mac is getting cranky, shocking me…literally! If you have ever drug your feet across carpet, then touched something metal - it is that kind of sparked shock. Ouch! Perhaps, in his old age, he is becoming picky about how he is touched. He is becoming the elderly widower, living in the scary old house that kids are afraid to near, for fear of being eaten…or, in this case, zapped!

Using Florida Virtual for some of the middle school classes, however, requires being on a computer…which is usually mine. So, I ordered another laptop - it is a Levono  - microsoft and does what needs to, in regards to accessing excel, word, and the internet. No worries of being zapped for the kids, but I still prefer old Mac, despite the zaps. Maybe it is the keyboard layout or the less touchy mouse, but I just am not ready to retire this old Mac!

Then again, I am apple biased. After I was diagnosed with leukemia, at ten years old, the Make A Wish foundation sent a couple of representatives to the hospital. They told us all about the organization and asked what wish I wanted to make. Honestly, I had NO idea! I didn't want to meet a celebrity - my prednisone chipmunk cheeks, balding hair, and general feeling of sickness put a crimp in that idea. I was too young to drive. I had already been to Disneyland and Disney World. So - the top three that kids generally ask for - celebrities, vehicles, and vacations - were off my list.

Ever practical, even at ten, I wanted something that would last - something that would benefit more than just me, but my whole family. What did I eventually select (and even though I am officially dating myself with this comment) in the summer of 1988? An apple computer - a 2Gs, to be specific! For anyone born before 1985, you might remember that most people did not own computers in their homes.  We were the first in the neighborhood, that is for sure!

Apple didn't merely send the screen and hard drive of a 2Gs, though. They sent those and a color printer, mouse, joystick, and games, as well! To say they went all out would be an understatement. Showering me with a massive dose of love and encouragement, I was all smiles for weeks. (Ok, not when I had a bone marrow biopsy or spinal tap, but otherwise - smiles!)

Needless to say, Apple gained a fan. However, for a while there, when microsoft had the cheaper laptops, I was a customer. Let's face it, Apple did have some down time before the iPhone, iPad, iPods, ieverythings - but they got back into the game! Ouch! Zap! Calm down Mac, it's just a blog! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment