Monday, July 16, 2018

World War II, the untold stories...

So - this is less of a blog and more of a request. (If there is no interest in my back story of this request, go to the last paragraph for the specifics.)

Years ago, I had a full outline for a novel; but as I began, I realized that the hours upon hours required for doing the story complete historical justice weren't available to me at that time. (I did have a one, five, and six year old, all running circles around me then!) However, over the past few months, little by little, my research continues…just not as I expected. Instead of the nine men and women I wanted to give voices, many others have begun to "talk" as well.

My original story focused around the untold (or at least less told) stories - like my Serbian "Teta" who spent much of the war (from Yugoslavia's surrender until liberation) in two horrific concentration camps…or my "Chicko" who refused to surrender with the Royal Yugoslavian Army and continued to fight until he was captured and sent to a labor camp, both of which were Serbian Orthodox Church and not singled out for their religion. There is the hero stuck in a 4F body, due to abuse from his father…the corpsman stuck in Saipan…the list goes on of stories not made into epic books, documentaries, and movies.

As others have begun to share their stories, I am seeing my original plans morph from a historical fiction novel, based on the lives of real people, and more towards a compilation of mini biographies, giving voices to the untold stories and perspectives - of all fronts and people groups, regardless to axis or allied  - World War II was not forged by the masses of men required to fight them and those soldier's have stories! Some are heart breaking and some heart warming or even downright funny!

I would like to follow this further and broaden my ears to more stories - if you lived during World War II (whether an impacted family member, a soldier, or anyone who lived it), or have a memorable, interesting, or "untold" story concerning World War II - I welcome it with appreciation. Whether you wish the names to remain anonymous or given…I have a list of specifics for those who wish to share. Please contact me, either in the responses or personal email. Thank you!

A few of these gentlemen who I could easily find photos I have saved:


US Army - European Front


US Navy Corpsman - Pacific Front, Marshall Islands


US Navy - Pacific Front
US Air Force - Aleutian Islands (Alaska area)

1 comment:

  1. I LOOOOVE this idea! I would buy this compilation and treasure it! This era is my favorite, and near to my heart because of two fighting grandfathers on those fronts. Do it friend, and send me the first copy!👏🏼

    ReplyDelete