Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Delayed travel plans...

If you wondered why I have not blogged in over a week, this is why...

This past Wednesday, I was mostly packed and ready for my Friday morning departure - TPA to Cleveland. My grandmother and her best friend were set to pick me up from the airport and I was eager for the weekend plans: Saturday's fish fry at a cousin's, getting to chat and catch up with family that I haven't seen in at least a decade...Sunday breakfast with my aunt, grandma, and cousin, then time visiting the rest of the McLaughlin crew. Monday and Tuesday were set aside to do something I haven't in a long while - rest... Rest with no children needing anything, no fights to break up, no whining or complaining, a blissful rest, that is.

Wednesday evening, I was feeling a bit "off." I assumed I was tired from my jam-packed week and getting ready for the trip. (Let's face it, moms - we don't just pack for ourselves and go...there are the lists of reminders for the hubby, the pre-prep work of having clothes and meals ready, and a myriad of other contingency planning for "when Mom is away.") However, Thursday told me I was wrong, severely wrong. Around 11am, I put aside my stubbornness and did the unthinkable; I called the Dr. (For everyone who doesn't know me in the health capacity, I tend to wait until I am sick at least 4 days to a week, sometimes two, before making that call...NEVER on day one, unless I have a very high fever and suspect a relapse of pneumonia or the likes, but that has never happened.)

Sinus infection. Although she said that she wouldn't "tell me what to do," the Doctor didn't recommend the flight and pressure changes on my already swollen sinuses and ear drums. I have only flown once with a sinus infection (that, before lift off, I didn't realize I had, assuming just a cold...) and that isn't exactly the kind of pain that I would want to purposely replicate. (Before 2006, when the ENT cut new sinus passageways through my face and forehead, reuniting the once-severed tunnels that allowed proper drainage, I would get an average of 15-20 sinus infections, whether new or not completely cleared before vamping back up, per year. Now, maybe one or two, if that, per year.)

Although I can't complain about the frequency change, the timing of this one was SO horrible! After a phone call to my grandmother and text to my aunt, I crashed for hours. Friday morning, I decided to officially cancel the flight and let people know. It was the right call - Friday was worse than Thursday and Saturday made it seem like a tickle. Something I despise about sinus infections is that they don't immediately change course with antibiotics, like strep throat or ear infections, where symptoms dissipating in days. No, they take their blessed time, requiring at least three to start turning around in the correct direction. At a snail's pace, if it were, with no eagerness to vacate and leave the host alone. At least this one is, indeed, a bacterial one. (Virals don't respond to antibiotics, duh, and take at least a week and a half to change course.)

So, if home and sick, why not blog? That is another subtle difference between a sinus infection and others - cogency. My husband thinks I am hilarious when I have them because apparently I appear drunk and make little sense in conversational flow, then fall asleep mid-sentence! I can only imagine how one of my blogs might read.... "I'm sick, its...No flying to OH, did I tell you when I was on the flying risk list in college, all 5'4" of me and I had surgery for sinuses. Sinuses is a funny word. Why can't my daughter put her shirts on rightsizing out...where is the Tylenol? posi'peo'''''kkkkkkkk" (That last part is me falling asleep on the keyboard, hehe.)

Maybe I will elaborate how a tiny, green-eyed, blonde hair (at the time), pale white me ending up being a flight risk in my next blog! ;)

Luna always knows when I am sick and sticks close (often too close) by my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment