Wednesday, August 15, 2018

It's Wednesday - Humpday?...

Perhaps some of you recall a certain auto commercial from a few years ago - the camel is walking through the cubicles of a work place asking if anyone knows what day it is. "Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike - guess what day it is, what day it IS?" Finally, someone answers, "humpday." The tagline is comparing how delighted drivers are with their insurance and a camel on a Wednesday.

Of course, no employee shares this particular camel's excitement of it being Wednesday or humpday, even if it does mark a halfway point of the usual work week. Today, I relate more to the employees - all was fine until the camel entered, or, in my case, the lack of a hump in the form of a book bag. More than 25 minutes into the drive to school (and less than 2 minutes from it), I realized that my youngest forgot her back pack. (Insert - a freak-out began, which included the phrases, "This is the worst day of my life," and "I am never going to graduate!") In the parking lot, I emptied my purse (which can strap on like a backpack) and placed her pencil and sketch book inside. With the promise of returning before her third class, the tears were gone and the drama ceased for my quiet ride home.

Although this is not truly an incident worthy of note, it did set off a domino of other events through this day that were unexpected - making an extra 50 minute round trip in the day does that to a person. For instance - in rushing with writing science terms onto the white board, instead of writing the word "organism," I wrote another word, with two less letters. "Um, Mom?" Sigh. it didn't particularly help that it was part of the definition for "asexual reproduction" and thoroughly confused my 13 year old son. Later, I was writing out the brainstorming of the older two in their discussion of the differences between a democracy and a republic (for their history class). One of the older two said that a democracy doesn't have a Death Star. Yes, I actually started writing the words out on the white board before giggles ensued. Those are a couple of the more humorous dominoes of the day.

Some Wednesdays are very much like that commercial - the proverbial camel running around saying, "Guess what day it is, what day it IS?" - The ever-annoying reminder that there are still two more days AFTER today to get through before the bliss begins, before the weekend, before the break in classes, human taxi time, and homework. Happy Wednesday to you all!



This about sums up my "Humpday" feelings - Evan, when he did NOT want to have his 9 month pictures done in 2006!

No comments:

Post a Comment