Monday, March 26, 2018

When Moms can't wait for school breaks (homeschooling)...

Usually, longer school breaks are a mother's nightmare. After the initial, "Yeah! They are home! Yeah, we are out of school!" wears off, it is onto the, "Now, what will I do with them? Mom…I'm bored!!" The everyday things that define a school-day schedule, whether for the stay-at-home mom or the working one, become derailed. Cleaning a bathroom can take hours, with the multiple interruptions of someone needing something or an argument to mediate. When it is too hot, cold, or rainy for hours to be spent outside, then what? Arts and crafts, trips to the zoo, "play with all the toys cluttering up your room!!" and the likes? Then, what?

I, however, as well as the vast majority of homeschooling moms, do the happy dance! (I am guessing this goes for teachers, as well?) Why? Well, first, the obvious - they are home the majority of the time, already - we are used to it!  Navigating the schedule of cleaning amidst the chaos, constant interruptions, and the likes are nothing new. We don't need the adjustment period of quiet and productive to loud and stopped. The second? No planning the school days, curriculum deciding, juggling teaching and homework, no pencils to sharpen…the bliss of nothing school!

Homeschooling three kids at different levels is challenging, I won't lie. There is no sick time off (seriously, I am the mean momma - unless you have the flu or are throwing up, we still do school work!) and there are days where I can start with one kid at 9am and still be completing with another at 8pm! I get burned out, spent. Two kids with ADHD, one with autism, and all three being, well, kids…yep. (I am in complete awe of teachers - the ones who are 100% in, caring, tuned into their pupils' needs, day in and out, with 20 plus students - absolute awe and admiration! Honestly, if it weren't for FL virtual and the hybrid homeschool, I think I would cave to my personal preferences (peace and quiet during the day, all errands and housework done before kids go to bed, spending more time writing and such) instead of doing what I know is best for them as individuals.

Back to the topic - school breaks! The big summer one starts in a little over a month! I have a mental countdown going….5.4.3.2.1. - School is out for the summer! Homeschool moms and teachers - get on your happy dancing shoes, cause it is coming soon!!

Today, I am too tired for the happy dance - toes up and relaxing in the sunshine of the pretentious lanai will do!

No comments:

Post a Comment