Monday, February 26, 2018

The Mysterious Surname...

Surname - that final name that we use in identifying ourselves, our "last name." What I have come to discover, in my geek realms of genealogy and genetics, is that neither me nor my husband have surnames that connect us to our true ancestors!

For starters - I am, originally, Beth Ann McLaughlin, who shouldn't be a McLaughlin. Digging through the past, I uncovered that my great grandfather wasn't the biological son of a McLaughlin, but a Smitley! Then there is the Wilkins who wasn't really a Wilkins, she was just owned by one. (This comes with the discovery that my great x 3 grandmother was a "mulatto" slave, born in 1847, and given the surname of her North Carolina plantation owner.) On my mother's side, there were the Warners, that should have been Blum. (Well, the maiden name of Blum. My German to English dictionary translated the unknown word on the birth certificate to "illegitimate" - so, as to the father's surname, who knows?!)

My husband was born with the last name "Rose" - however, his biological father's biological father was really a Howe, but given the name Rose to match his many older siblings. The biological father of my husband's mother wasn't really a Walker, but a Newton. When he gives his last name and mother's maiden name, both are technically incorrect.

As for our children - all Roses that should have been Howes, born to a mother who was a McLaughlin, but should have been Smitley?! Again, another "my last name and mother's maiden names aren't technically correct" kind of thing. No offense to any Smitley or Howe surname readers, but I prefer McLaughlin and Rose - maybe it is merely because I am used to these, but I do. All of this to say - how sure are you about your biologically correct surname? :)




No comments:

Post a Comment