Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Pet peeves of the pen…predictability...


Oh - the predictable pen, how I dislike thee!

Let me assure you, I am not suggesting that a book must be a mystery wrapped in a bewildering enigma. Starting a novel and knowing that it has a happy ending, for instance, probably creates more predictability. However, every scene, choice, and relationship along the way need not be. If I always know what will happen next, I lose interest in turning another page. Maybe it is because I prefer to be surprised, or at least desire books to need effort in solving the plot steps of the story! If I am led to believe that a plot is going in one direction, but deviates instead to another...I like it all the more. The "Whoa! I did NOT see that one coming," effect is appealing. (Unless it is unbelievable (another pet peeve I will be hitting on sooner than later), then I just feel like I have wasted the previous hours in the pages of nonsense!)

I believe the preference to being surprised is because life is full of them. When is life ever predictable? I highly doubt that you cleared your schedule in preparation for a week of bed rest the last time you got the flu. Or, reflecting on a previous post about writing kid antics, I would never have left my eldest create quietly in her bedroom after that day's nap had I known what would await me upon opening the door! So, when you write - please be creative and avoid the cliche and predictable choices for your characters, scenes, and plot! :)


Don't be like Mr. Blue, who kept putting his head in toilets - be it in a real one or the doll house's commode!



No comments:

Post a Comment