Saturday, October 29, 2016

Fall...




September and October, sometimes even into November...


The fall, when school is exciting and pencils are still sharpened, their erasers in tact.





The summer's heat submits to autumn's cooler weather, taking pesky mosquitoes to their graves. Sweaters find their way to the front of my closet, like reemerging memories. 
 

The leaves begin to change – a new canvas of colors, various hues to catch the eye. Red. Orange. Yellow. Cooler winds pluck leaves from high perches. They fall, crisp glitter in the air, and we see them more clearly as the decorate the ground.


Amaranths debut pink blooms. Birds arrive around our lake again, entertaining us with their songs and excited activity. The stresses of the holidays are not yet upon me, it is the calm before the storm. 

 

Autumn is my favorite season and most inspires me to write. Maybe it is the ebbing heat that makes the mind more crisp or merely the colorful changing surroundings - the sights, smells, and sounds of fall. Sitting outside in our lanai (Florida's pretentious term for screened in back porches), my senses are aroused by the season, motivating my fingers to capture the experience of fall.

(A special thank you to my sister-in-law, Holly, for her amazing photography.)


No comments:

Post a Comment